East Boldon Neighbourhood Forum
Welcome to our website!
The Forum exists to produce a Neighbourhood Plan which represents a view of the future for the Village and we need your help! If you live or work in the East Boldon Forum area then you are welcome to join the Forum. Please get in touch with us.
Although our regular monthly meetings have been suspended since March as a result of the lockdown we have continued to work in the background towards the development of our draft neighbourhood plan. Please see below or click here for more information.
What have we been up to ?
Although we have not been able to meet face to face, officers of the Forum have been beavering away on the Neighbourhood Plan (NP).
Our Draft Neighbourhood Plan was published in October and the consultation period closed on 7 December 2020.
We are now reviewing the responses that have been received and will publish more detail in due course.
The Forum continues to make formal responses, on behalf of members, about key issues that impact on village life.
Please share this information with those who may not be members or may not have access to email.
We have / we are:
- Developed policies – to deliver objectives identified by the community.
- Working with our Consultant – to finalise the draft Neighbourhood Plan (last stages).
- Finalised key Background Papers – which underpin policies and are available on the website.
- Submitted the necessary NP documents to the Council for screening – (16.6.20).
- Meet regularly with Council Planners – to keep them abreast of plan progress. They are expected to run their own consultation on the plan early in 2021.
- Completed our own consultation on the draft plan.
Your Draft Neighbourhood Plan has been published and consulted on.
At Forum Community Events you told us these things need addressing:
- Protecting the Green Belt and green spaces as well as the historic built environment and employment activities;
- Managing transport, parking and flooding issues;
- Ensuring the right type of housing and services for young and old alike.
All of these form the basis of our Objectives.
The policies have been screened by the Local Authority in relation to Environmental regulations with no significant comments received.
Some significant comments have been received on the draft plan and further details will be provided when the responses have been analysed.
Ultimately the Local Authority will appoint an external examiner to scrutinise the plan before it is voted on in a community referendum.
We are active on social media, please follow us on Facebook if you can.
We do however understand that not everybody wants to use social media. Other ways for you to get in touch include via a telephone call or by text to 07726 106773.
Members receive regular email communications when items of interest arise and we continue to provide leaflets to every household and business in the Forum area to publicise major events.
Representing Members on Key Issues
We have gathered comments and presented views on:
- Hawthorn Area 20mph Zone – support the Council’s proposal and suggest additions, to include other ‘dangerous’ areas of the village (June 2020).
- Tree Preservation Order (TPO) – support the order but also widen this to include all trees of significance to the community (Jan-June 2020).
- South Tyneside Street Space Consultation – made suggestions about future use of roads, walking & cycling routes (May/June 2020).
- Planning applications – e.g. involved in the development of the Mayflower Glass site.
Let’s all keep working to keep our village a great place to live!
The Forum has been active since 2016. We have created a visual timeline to show the progress which has been achieved since the idea of a Neighbourhood Forum for East Boldon was first suggested in November 2016. Please click to see more details.
We will add more information and links to support each of the items on the timeline as they become available.
Neighbourhood Forums have a legal standing and allow residents to influence (but not prevent) future development in their area. The East Boldon Neighbourhood Forum was designated by South Tyneside Council in January 2018. Since then, the Forum has been working on the development of a neighbourhood plan which is expected to be available later in 2020.
During August 2019 Forum members provided a detailed response to the South Tyneside Council’s latest draft of their Local Plan. Please look here for more information and feel free to leave a comment to let us know your views.
A selection of our previous posts:
If you wish to contact us for any reason please leave your details on the Contact Us page.
All members of the Forum are volunteers from the local community, the current elected Officials are:
Photographs courtesy of Phil Payne